Long Beach Tax Attorney
Long Beach has a rich history and diverse culture that attracts many people and businesses. Whether you love the beach, Aquarium of the Pacific, Queen Mary or get impressed every time you pass the Port of Long Beach, this is a beautiful place. The Long Beach tax attorneys at Tax Lawyers Group APC are proud to be part of this community and represent Long Beach taxpayers concerning all tax problems with the IRS, FTB, CDTFA sales tax, and EDD. Our Long Beach tax attorneys represent individuals and small businesses throughout this great city.
Attorneys at Tax Lawyers Group APC are top rated tax lawyers who have been voted best tax lawyers by Best of Long Beach, Best of South Bay, featured in NBC News, Daily Journal and Top Ranked Tax Lawyers.
Most individual and business owners who have tax problems in Long Beach stem from sales tax audits, income tax debt or have payroll tax problems. Sales tax issues usually arise from the operation of retail businesses such as restaurants, construction companies, clothing stores, bars and other retail outlets that sell consumer items. Those taxpayers that have income tax debt issues usually arise from tax returns that were not properly filed or have experienced life events which forced them to fall behind in paying their IRS or FTB taxes. In certain cases many taxpayers have fallen victim to unscrupulous tax preparers who have created tax controversies for the Long Beach taxpayer.
Unfortunately, by the time the individual taxpayer or small business client retains our tax law firm, they have suffered severe stress or have been charged with high tax assessments by the CDTFA and IRS. To prevent unnecessary tax collections and tax liens it is important to have your case reviewed by a qualified tax attorney at the early stages of any tax problem.
Taxpayers in Long Beach are protected by IRS and FTB tax laws and statutes as well as Taxpayers Bill of Rights that prohibit taxing agencies from taking certain tax collection activity as well as protecting taxpayers assets including cars, houses and small businesses.
- Internal Revenue Service: The Taxpayer Bill of Rights. Lists out at 10 rights that every Long Beach business owner should know when dealing with the IRS.
- Franchise Tax Board: The Taxpayer Advocate Services (TAS) is a free service offered by the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) to assist Long Beach taxpayers who are experiencing tax problems.
The City of Long Beach imposes different types of taxes on taxpayers and businesses operating within its city limits. Tax attorneys in Long Beach should be aware of some common taxes in Long Beach as shown on the links below:
- Long Beach Sales Tax: Long Beach imposes a sales tax of 10.25%, which includes a 1% local sales tax in addition to the 6% California state sales tax and a 3.25% Los Angeles County sales tax.
- Hotel Tax LBC: The city imposes a transient occupancy tax (TOT) on hotel and motel room rentals within the city limits.
- Utility User Tax: Long Beach imposes a utility user tax (UUT) on residents and businesses that use utilities such as gas, electricity, water, and telecommunication services.
- Oil Production Tax: Long Beach is home to several oil drilling sites, and the city imposes an oil production tax on companies that extract oil. The tax rate is based on the volume of oil produced.
- Long Beach Business License Tax: LBC charges a business license tax on all businesses operating within the city limits.
The City of Long Beach imposes a tax on cannabis businesses operating within the city limits.
The cannabis tax in Long Beach is based on gross receipts, which includes all income generated from the sale of cannabis products. The tax rate varies depending on the type of business. Long Beach cannabis tax rates are as follows:
- Cultivators in LBC: $12 per square foot of canopy space
- Manufacturers in LBC: 6% of gross receipts
- Distributors: 6% of gross receipts
- Retailers: 6% of gross receipts for medical sales, and 8% of gross receipts other sales
Under federal law cannabis remains illegal. Businesses operating in this industry in Long Beach are subject to both state and local tax laws. Long Beach tax attorneys should be consulted regarding any cannabis tax audit concerns as these sales tax audits have potential criminal tax implications.Contact Long Beach Tax Attorney
Although revenue agents and tax auditors that work for the IRS, FTB, CDTFA, and EDD are trained professionals, they are not trained to work for the best interest of taxpayers. The only way to ensure that a taxpayer in Long Beach is properly protected is to engage with a tax attorney who specializes in IRS, FTB, CDTFA and EDD tax laws.
To learn more about tax law and potential strategies to defend your tax case please visit our practice page. Long Beach Tax Attorneys at Tax Lawyers Group APC represents individuals and business owners throughout the beautiful city of Long Beach including surrounding areas of Palos Verdes San Pedro Carson Lakewood Cerritos Seal Beach and Los Alamitos. Our Long Beach office of Tax Lawyers Group APC is located on 400 Ocean Gate, 8th floor, Long Beach California 90802. Our telephone number is (562) 432-8688.